I am a developer who has worked with various startups doing storage, business intelligence, open source stack support, search and high availability. My posts tend to be on subjects related to these. I also might post on my hobbies, which include frisbee (mostly ultimate and goaltimate), gardening, and outdoor activities (hiking, climbing, biking, etc). I have a computer science degree from Stanford.
I am not a preacher, doctor, high school student, MBA student, expat living in Hong Kong nor a professional baseball player, though I play all of those with my email account.
Twitter and Email
If you are interested in my chatter you can follow me on Twitter, my handle is __mharrison__. My email is matthewharrison at gmail (note the two t’s and two r’s).
I have presented and taught quite a bit at conferences and user groups, such as OSCON, PyCON, SCALE, UTOSC, Bay Area Python User Group. I am currently co-chairing the Utah Python User Group.
Here is a lightning talk I gave at PyCON 2011.
- Oct 2013 - Strata - Getting Started with Python, Matplotlib, and Pandas
- Oct 2013 - Utah Python - 90% of Python in 90 Minutes
- Sep-Oct 2013 - HTML for 3rd Graders - 8 week course on HTML for 3rd-6th graders
- Mar 2013 - Utah Python - Functional Programming
- Mar 2013 - PyCon - Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Scripting: from Hard-drive to Github to PyPI Tutorial
- Oct 2012 - Publishing Electronic Books - 6 week crash course for 2rd-6th graders in ebooks and publishing. Result of class published on Amazon.
- May 2012 - UTOS - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial.
- Mar 2012 - PyCON - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Intermediate was one of the first to sell out.
- Jan 2012 - SCALE10X - “It’s all Good”: Martha Stewart, Python and Decorators
Understanding decorators, *args, **kwargs etc. made driving down to #SCALE10x worth it. Thankyou @__mharrison__
- Dec 2011 - What is a Programmer? - Hannah Holbrook Elementary
- Fall 2011 - Elementary Ebooks 8 week crash course in ebooks (epub, html, css) for 3rd-6th graders.
- Aug 2011 - Utah Python presentation on Decorators.
- Apr 2011 - Utah Python Recap of best talks at PyCon.
- Mar 2011 - PyCON Taught 2 3 hour tutorials. Hands On Beginning and Intermediate Python. Gave a lightning talk on Qtile.
- Oct 2010 - UTOSC Taught Python Full Meal Deal.
- Sep 2010 - Utah Python Took part in discussion on teaching Python to elementary students.
- Fall 2010 - Elementary Python. 8 Week crash course in programming for 3rd-6th graders.
- Feb 2010 - PyCon I gave a standing room only tutorial on The Meaty Parts of Python. Also demoed code coverage support in emacs in a large BoF.
- Oct 2009 - UTOSC I presented on What every programmer should know about code coverage, gave an Intermediate Python Workshop and lightning introduction the Utah Python Group.
- Jul 2009 - OSCON I presented on Best Practices for ‘Scripting’ with Python 3 and assisted with Innovative Interaction using Wiimotes.
- Jun 2009 - Utah Python Quick intro to PyGTK and Glade.
- Mar 2009 - PyCon All I really need to know about [testable, maintainable, packagable] “scripts”.
- Mar 2009 - Fairfield Junior High A career in programming.
- Feb 2009 - SCALE7x “Scripting” with python: Maintainable, Testable and & Distributable.
- Feb 2009 - Utah Python All I ever wanted to know about scripting.
- Jan 2009 - Hannah Holbrook Elementary What does a programmer do?
- Aug 2008 - UTOSC Using Lasers Webcams and Wiimotes in Python. (Given twice due to crowd feedback) 90% of the Python you need to know.
- Mar 2008 - PyCon Managing complexity (and testing). I now think that the name of this is a misnomer. It should be “Everything I need to know about coverage” (note that the examples are in python but the general idea is applicable to all languages).
- Nov 2007 - Utah Python, Quick and Dirty Intro to Testing (and coverage) in Python.
- Sep 2007 - Utah Python, Python 101.
- Aug 2007 - UTOSC Python 101.
- July 2007 - OSCON Programming with dynamic confidence.
- May 2007 - Utah Python Programming with dynamic confidence.
- Mar 2006 PyCon Sam: Transforming a commandline tool to web 3000.
- Feb 2006 - Baypiggies Sam: Transforming a commandline tool to web 3000.
Emacs and Python
I have a series of emacs and Python posts from my old blog that I will appear here.