Matt Harrison is a corporate trainer, consultant, and author who has worked with various startups architecting data science, business intelligence, storage, open source stack support, search and high availability. My posts tend to be on subjects related to these. I also might post on my hobbies, which include frisbee (mostly ultimate and goaltimate), gardening, and outdoor activities (skiing, trail running, hiking, climbing, biking, etc). I have a computer science degree from Stanford.
I am not a preacher, doctor, high school student, MBA student, expat living in Hong Kong nor a professional baseball player, though I play all of those with my email account.
Twitter and Email
If you are interested in my chatter you can follow me on Twitter, my handle is @__mharrison__ or sign up for my mailing list.
If you are interested in consulting services or corporate Python training please contact me. I have experience:
- Deriving meaning from data
- Prototyping full stack systems
- Delivering customer focused solutions
- Auditing/reviewing code
- Teaching people to be effective in Python
- Instructing on Data Science best practices
- Illustrated Guide to Learning Python 3
- Machine Learning Pocket Reference
- Effective PyCharm
- Pandas 1.x Cookbook
- Intermediate Python Programming, 1/2ed
- Tiny Python 3.8 Notebook (also 2.7, 3.6)
- Python for Data Scientists (& Engineers)
- Effective Pandas
- Mastering SQL Selection
- Exploring Python 3 (Talk Python)
- Core Python: The Numeric Tower (Pluralsight)
- Applied Classification with XGBoost (Pluralsight)
- Introduction to Pandas for Developers (O'Reilly)
I have presented and taught quite a bit at conferences and user groups, such as OSCON, PyCON, SCALE, UTOSC, Open-West, Bay Area Python User Group. I co-chaired the Utah Python User Group for five years.
Here is a lightning talk I gave at PyCON 2011.
- Nov 2020 - IEEE VisInPractice Conference - Seaborn - One tool to rule them all
- Oct 2020 - JupyterCon - A Beginners Tour Through Virtual Environments and Conda Environments - Tutorial
- Apr 2020 - PyCON US - Hands-on Python for Programmers - Tutorial
- Aug 2019 - Python Bytes Podcast Guest Host
- Aug 2019 - Salt Lake Java Users Group - Python and Consulting for Introverts*
- May 2019 - Salt Lake R Users Group - Consulting for Introverts*
- May 2019 - PyCon - Gave two mini talks on PyCharm and profiling in the PyCharm tutorial and the PyCharm booth
- Apr 2019 - OpenWest - Advanced Python. This 3 hour tutorial was a little different. I presented a list of topics and polled the audience. They decided to learn about Functional Programming, Pandas, and Decorators. As a heavily improvised, JIT presentation, the audience seemed to really enjoy it.
- Apr 2019 - IT Career Energizer Podcast - Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable
- Feb 2019 - PyCon Colombia - Consulting for Introverts
- Jan 2019 - Test and Code Podcast - Teaching Python as a Corporate Trainer
- Apr 2018 - SLC Data Science. Consulting for Introverted Numbers Geeks
- Apr 2018 - Python Bytes Podcast Guest Host
- Mar 2018 - PyCharm Webinar - Python Data Science with pandas
- Feb 2018 - PyCon Colombia - Welcome to the Jungle, tutorial on Random Forests
- Sep 2017-Present - Live trainer for OReilly Media. (Courses on Python, Pytest, Pandas, and Machine Learning)
- Jul 2017 - OpenWest - Hands-on Beginning Python Bootcamp, Hands-on Intermediate Python Bootcamp
- June 2017 - Utah Python impromptu talk on generators
- May 2017 - 2 tutorials at PyCon, Beginning and Intermediate Bootcamp. Taught full day Young Coders class
- May 2017 - Talk Python Episode 111 - Pythonic Career Advice
- Dec 2016 - Usenix Lisa - Machine Learning for SREs
- Oct-Nov 2016 - Programming for Elementary Kids 6 week course on fractals, drones, webservers, and more.
- July 2016 - OpenWest - Comprehending Comprehensions in Python. Learn Testing in Python Commando Style. Become a Tree Hugger of Data Science
- Jun 2016 - PyCON - Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial
- Nov 2015 - Usenix Lisa - Introduction to Data Analytics with Pandas - 90 minute tutorial. Hands-on Introduction to Python Analytic Stack - Half-day tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python - Full-day tutorial.
- Sep 2015 - StartFest - Machine Learning For Fun And Profit...Mostly Profit.
- July 2015 - OSCON - Decorating Drones: Using Drones to Delve Deeper into Intermediate Python
- July 2015 - SciPy - Decorating Drones: Using Drones to Delve Deeper into Intermediate Python
- June 2015 - Oreilly Webcast - Functional Python
- May 2015 - OpenWest - Intro to Data Analysis Workshop, Intro to Machine Learning Workshop, Intro to Python, Intermediate Python
- Apr 2015 - PyCON - Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial
- Mar 2015 - Utah Code Camp - Drones and Python. Intro to Data Analysis.
- Feb 2015 - StartSLC - Beginning Python Workshop
- Sep-Oct 2014 - Programming Drones with Python - 8 Week course on Python and Drone programming for 3rd-6th graders
- May 2014 - OpenWest - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Introduction to Pandas.
- Apr 2014 - PyCON - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Intermediate was full, so one attendee hacked website to attend.
- Jan 2014 - Utah Python - Introduction to Pandas
- Nov 2013 - Utah Jmp Group - _Why Python?__
- Oct 2013 - Strata - Getting Started with Python, Matplotlib, and Pandas
- Oct 2013 - Utah Python - 90% of Python in 90 Minutes
- Sep-Oct 2013 - HTML for 3rd Graders - 8 week course on HTML for 3rd-6th graders
- Mar 2013 - Utah Python - Functional Programming
- Mar 2013 - PyCon - Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Scripting: from Hard-drive to Github to PyPI Tutorial
- Oct 2012 - Publishing Electronic Books - 6 week crash course for 2rd-6th graders in ebooks and publishing. Result of class published on Amazon.
- May 2012 - UTOS - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial.
- Mar 2012 - PyCON - Hands-on Beginning Python Tutorial. Hands-on Intermediate Python Tutorial. Intermediate was one of the first to sell out.
- Jan 2012 - SCALE10X - "It's all Good": Martha Stewart, Python and Decorators
Understanding decorators, args, *kwargs etc. made driving down to #SCALE10x worth it. Thankyou @__mharrison__
- Dec 2011 - _What is a Programmer?__ - Hannah Holbrook Elementary
- Fall 2011 - Elementary Ebooks 8 week crash course in ebooks (epub, html, css) for 3rd-6th graders.
- Aug 2011 - Utah Python presentation on Decorators.
- Apr 2011 - Utah Python Recap of best talks at PyCon.
- Mar 2011 - PyCON Taught 2 3 hour tutorials. Hands On Beginning and Intermediate Python. Gave a lightning talk on Qtile.
- Oct 2010 - UTOSC Taught Python Full Meal Deal.
- Sep 2010 - Utah Python Took part in discussion on teaching Python to elementary students.
- Fall 2010 - Elementary Python. 8 Week crash course in programming for 3rd-6th graders.
- Feb 2010 - PyCon I gave a standing room only tutorial on The Meaty Parts of Python. Also demoed code coverage support in emacs in a large BoF.
- Oct 2009 - UTOSC I presented on What every programmer should know about code coverage, gave an Intermediate Python Workshop and lightning introduction the Utah Python Group.
- Jul 2009 - OSCON I presented on Best Practices for 'Scripting' with Python 3 and assisted with Innovative Interaction using Wiimotes.
- Jun 2009 - Utah Python Quick intro to PyGTK and Glade.
- Mar 2009 - PyCon All I really need to know about [testable, maintainable, packagable] "scripts".
- Mar 2009 - Fairfield Junior High A career in programming.
- Feb 2009 - SCALE7x "Scripting" with python: Maintainable, Testable and & Distributable.
- Feb 2009 - Utah Python All I ever wanted to know about scripting.
- Jan 2009 - Hannah Holbrook Elementary What does a programmer do?
- Aug 2008 - UTOSC Using Lasers Webcams and Wiimotes in Python. (Given twice due to crowd feedback) 90% of the Python you need to know.
- Mar 2008 - PyCon Managing complexity (and testing). I now think that the name of this is a misnomer. It should be "Everything I need to know about coverage" (note that the examples are in python but the general idea is applicable to all languages).
- Nov 2007 - Utah Python, Quick and Dirty Intro to Testing (and coverage) in Python.
- Sep 2007 - Utah Python, Python 101.
- Aug 2007 - UTOSC Python 101.
- July 2007 - OSCON Programming with dynamic confidence.
- May 2007 - Utah Python Programming with dynamic confidence.
- Mar 2006 PyCon Sam: Transforming a commandline tool to web 3000.
- Feb 2006 - Baypiggies Sam: Transforming a commandline tool to web 3000.